I will be updating this page monthly to fill you in on what students are doing in each subject, provide useful links to promote learning at home, and share both pictures and videos from our class. You can also follow us on Class DoJo by downloading the app! A few reminders for this month:
- Please make sure to send a snack with your child each day.
- Plan for the colder weather! We do go outside for recess everyday with the exception of extreme conditions. Make sure your child has a winter coat, hat, and gloves. You may send boots and snow pants as well.
- Please make sure assignment notebooks are being reviewed and signed each night. This is a great opportunity to discuss with your child what he/she learned about in each subject. There is always a short description by each subject informing you what our focus was for the day, and homework will stand out as it is highlighted in yellow. Showing your active interest in your child's education helps to keep them accountable and inspires them to give their best each day!
- 4th grade is planning our school mass for Friday, December 6, 2019 at 8:20am. Please join us as we celebrate the Feast of St. Nicholas.
- We will visit Hillside Manor on Monday, December 9.
- Our Christmas program is Thursday, December 12 at 1:00pm and 6:30pm in the gym.
- Christmas vacation begins December 21 and goes through January 2. Classes will resume on January 2.
- As we celebrate Advent, 4th graders will be making an "Acts of Kindness" calendar. The students have come up with simple, random acts of kindness they can fulfill each day. We will also be collecting donations as a class to give to Transitions Resource Center. Please see the letter sent home on 12/2 for more information on this nonprofit and what you can donate.
What’s going on this month?
Language: Students are learning new vocabulary words, verb tenses, learning to use reference materials, analyzing informational texts, making conclusions/generalizations based on text evidence, and building confidence with understanding new grammar concepts.
Math: Students are learning various methods to solve multi-digit multiplication problems including estimation, expanded form, mental math, and regrouping. We are also looking into solving word problems using our multiplication knowledge.
Science: Fourth graders are studying fossils and patterns of change in the Earth. Later this month, we will move into Earth's living systems!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Many Blessings!
COLOR YOUR LIFE WITH FAITH
Noticias de la Sra. Ganske
During Spanish class, the students are observing “Hispanic Heritage Month”. This is a special month that provides the opportunity to give recognition to people that come from a Hispanic heritage background. Last week the 4th grade class had a guest speaker, Mrs. Maria Ramirez. She talked to the class about traditional holidays, foods, and clothing from her heritage country of Mexico. She also explained to the students how she has been able to combine American and Mexican influences while raising a family in the United States. She shared childhood memories and previous experiences from multiple trips to Mexico. The kids had a blast! Especially when it was time to try on some traditional clothing and taste “conchas”, “dulce de tamarindo”, and other Mexican delicatessen. Throughout the school year, students will have a chance to experience different activities that are focused on cultural immersion. These experiences are very important for the students and they make learning Spanish more meaningful and memorable. I will keep you updated on every one of these activities. Mrs. Ganske